Sunday, April 19, 2009

Perspective

One distinction in philosophy that I like is the one that Kant made between "public" and "private" reasoning in "What is Enlightenment?".  I'm probably butchering the definition a little bit but basically this is how I look at it:

Private Reason/Thinking - Playing your role in society, even if you disagree with the rules that that you have to follow.

Public Reason/Thinking - Expressing your thoughts and providing opinions to attempt to make a change in societal norms that you disagree with.

I think it would be outstanding if everyone publicly reasoned - the combination of varying thoughts should, in my mind, lead to a positive result that everyone is happy with.  I guess with the advent of the Internet and blogs and things like that, public reasoning is more prevalent now than it used to be.

But for many reasons, people aren't always comfortable with breaking the mold and expressing themselves.  Personally,  I hold back on stating my opinions all of the time out of fear for looking "stupid", being publicly shamed, etc.

So with that, a couple of new writers are on the site now, and maybe some more will join soon.  I'm looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. "I think it would be outstanding if everyone publicly reasoned - the combination of varying thoughts should, in my mind, lead to a positive result that everyone is happy with."

    Jon,

    Truth be told, while this certainly appears to be a laudable goal on its face, I must disagree.

    Many people...MOST people, in my opinion, have not given the required time and work to think through all their thoughts and opinions, and what the logical conclusion of any given opinion or course of action.

    I hope to post something at some point today, if I can find time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree with that as it relates to human-created sciences.

    Like for medicine - I am not going to ask some random person on the street how to treat an illness I might have. I'll ask someone who specializes in the field. If i wanted to know what the impact of a 5% tax raise on the public might be - I would probably ask an economist.

    But for questions about basic human nature like - "does god exist?" or "what's the purpose of life?", or "what's your ideal vision of society?" - I believe in valuing and listening to everyone's opinion, even if I totally disagree with them. I could react and say to myself "holy #$#@, that person has no clue" but maybe I am the one who doesn't have an fing clue.

    Now, all of these conversations and many others have already happened throughout history and have led to the development of the social structures which we have all been born into.

    Personally, I disagree with the way a lot of things work. I don't like the monetary system; I don't like the fact that I walk by homeless people on the street everyday; I don't like the fact that people willingly harm others; I don't really like anything about social labels and constructs. The problem I always have is trying to figure out how someone like me (with no status or power in the system) can try to change things, and I think one of (or the only way) is through public discourse. Ultimately, maybe all of my ideas are wrong and I am selfish in thinking that I should have any say at all, but that's for the "public will" to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But for questions about basic human nature like - "does god exist?" or "what's the purpose of life?", or "what's your ideal vision of society?" - I believe in valuing and listening to everyone's opinion, even if I totally disagree with them. I could react and say to myself "holy #$#@, that person has no clue" but maybe I am the one who doesn't have an fing clue.
    "

    You don't think that so many voices will just confuse the issue and obfusciate the truth? Personally, there are a number of people who I don't want to take the time to listen to, simply because they have, time and again, failed to demonstrate any well-thought out ideas. Maybe it is because I've spent too much time studying economics and law, but time is a limited resource and I would hate to waste it on an unproductive errand.

    Now, you're absolutely correct when you say I might be the one without a clue. Maybe that is true...but wouldn't *someone* who's opinion I value convince me of that?

    ReplyDelete