Thursday, May 7, 2009

Don't Worry, Be Happy

A lot of people have told me that I have a problem with being overly pessimistic.  So when I was reading “Is Life Worth Living?” by Williams James the other day, I was happy to learn that most of it was about pessimism.  Also I think I am losing my memory because I’ve definitely read this before but forgot about it almost entirely.

James’ argument is that pessimism is caused by a conflict between (i) the natural life which we experience everyday and (ii) the desire to experience something greater than nature (a religious or supernatural purpose or perhaps an “afterlife”). 

Put in other terms, “if I am going to ultimately die anyway, and what I do in this physical life has no purpose beyond that, what’s the point of me living at all?”  

Another common question is “why is there evil in this world if God is good and God created this world?”.  Certain evils like death seem inexplicable and absolutely awful.

In James’ words:

“Every phenomenon that we would praise there exists cheek by jowl with some contrary phenomenon that cancels all its religious effect upon the mind.  Beauty and hideousness, love and cruelty, life and death keep house together in indissoluble partnership; and there gradually steals over us, instead of the old warm notion of a man-loving Deity, that of an awful power that neither hates nor loves, but rolls all things together meaninglessly to a common doom”.

The two solutions he offers for alleviating pessimism are:

1.     Don’t believe or think about anything religiously.  Take the world “as is”. 

2.     Continue to view everything in a religious way and build your faith through “supplementary facts” and experiences.

Solution 1 doesn’t appeal to me because I have an inclination to think about a supernatural purpose all of the time.  I guess basic “natural” reasons to live are to improve this world for the next generation or out of respect for ancestors who allowed us to be in the position we are in now.  There’s probably a lot more, but that’s not really how I think.

Solution 2 is how I live.  I’d like to think there is a greater purpose to life than just this physical world that I can sense around me.  I have a desire for it (along with other things, like knowledge).  Maybe I’m wrong, but if I don’t believe in a greater purpose, I’ll never have any chance of finding it.

When you think about it (or at least when I think about it, if you disagree with me), everything hinges upon belief or desire:

Belief that I might get a job if I apply >>>>> application>>>>> interview >>>> job

Belief that my girlfriend will marry me if I ask >>>> proposal >>>>>>> marriage 

Belief that there can be a cure for cancer>>> clinical trials>>> cancer treatments and maybe a cure someday.

Belief that someone might read my thoughts >>>> writing >>>> blog>>people reading

Belief that life might exist outside of Earth >>> telescopes/spaceships/satellites >>>> discoveries about other planets, etc. 

All of these beliefs are driven by a human desire – knowledge, love, health, etc.

If you have a desire within you for a religious/supernatural purpose, why not continue to believe?  That’s that only way you will ever have a chance of fulfilling your dreams.

For "agnostics" – you should definitely check out James’ essays.  May lead you in a different direction or affirm your agnosticism.  Either way, I think it’s time worth spending.

There are some people out there who always seem happy or always seem depressed.  I’d like to hear your view on this subject.

I've been thinking about using thesaurus.com more so I don't repeat words like belief and desire 1 million times, but I was too lazy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment