Monday, June 15, 2009

Standardize This

The ridiculous cost of “higher” education. Standardized tests. Grades. Required curriculum. Selective admission processes. I don’t really like any of these things.

I understand there are benefits to these constructs, and I know people could easily argue against me (so you don’t need to bother). Still, I don’t like any of these concepts, which I believe restrict free and creative thinking and prevent people from getting the education they desire. You could say that not everyone has the right to get an education, and maybe it’s not a right. Maybe it’s a privilege, but I want everyone to have that privilege.

I don’t want someone’s socioeconomic status or the environment they are placed in from birth through high school to impact their ability to attend a college they want to. I was lucky to grow up in a situation where I barely had to do any work to get into a college that is highly regarded by employers. I know there are people that grew up in less fortunate situations that probably worked 10 times as hard as me and wouldn’t be able to attend the same school. I think that’s terrible and it makes me feel awful.

Children who grow up in an environment where they do not have the opportunity to attend schools that colleges respect are stifled by the system. It's not their fault - it's luck. How are they supposed to do well on standardized tests when they are not learning things that are going to be in those tests and when they may not care about the subject matter that is included in the test. I'm not sure, but I don't think I ever utilized a single thing I had to learn for a standardized test in my life. I'm barely utilizing anything I learned through my business major in my current business-related job, but I wouldn't have been able to get the job without the degree.

I think the occupation and higher education that you will ultimately have (or won't have) is too dependent upon the economic situation you were born into. The widening gap between rich and poor will never change if the educational system is not changed. I remember in one job interview (this was for the job I wanted most coming out of school), the interviewer told me I basically had no chance because I didn’t have a degree from an Ivy League school. I thought that was one of the more asinine things I have ever heard, but I guess I shouldn’t have any qualms with whatever suits that employer.

I want to start a university. A university that is free of charge and allows students to study whatever they want and allows professors to teach whatever they want.

I realize that there are a number of difficulties with this and my plan might not be feasible.

  • Funding would definitely be a problem, especially because I wouldn’t be charging anyone.
  • Attracting teachers and students to a different concept could be difficult.
  • Since both students and teachers could teach/learn whatever they wanted, I’m not sure if there would be matching interests between them. How could I really set up classes? I’m struggling with this. I probably would have to place some boundaries on what could be taught, but I’m hesitant to do that.
  • The perception of value of a degree from a university that doesn’t really have any standards could be low with potential employers and prospective students – also I’m not sure if I would even give out degrees and I don’t know if there would be a time limit on a student's stay at the university.
  • I don’t think I would have many limitations on admission, so if the school became popular, I’m not sure what I would do. I think for the application process, I would just personally interview anyone that wanted to attend in lieu of anything written or formal.

I don’t really know if there are any significant benefits to this idea. Maybe amending the current system and modifying existing universities would be easier. I understand my thoughts might be a little bit crazy given the way the educational system currently is structured and how it’s interconnected with the economy, but maybe there is a solution somewhere in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment